Experian Data Breach
25 Aug 2020
Liberty is aware that the credit bureau, Experian, which provides credit data to many financial services institutions was impacted by a data breach recently.
Experian are investigating an external breach of information and they are working closely with the authorities and supported by the South African Banking Risk Information Centre (SABRIC), the Banking Association of South Africa (BASA) and the Southern African Fraud Prevention Service (SAFPS).
The compromise of personal information can create opportunities for criminals to impersonate you but does not guarantee access to your banking profile or accounts. However, criminals may use this information to attempt to trick you into disclosing your confidential banking details.
Liberty takes the protection of its clients seriously and will continue to ensure that we have measures in place to mitigate this risk. We urge clients to always be vigilant and to take the following additional precautions to safeguard their personal information:
- Change passwords regularly and never share them with anyone else. Ensure that passwords are strong and not the same across platforms.
- Verify all requests for personal information and only provide it when there is a legitimate reason to do so.
- Avoid using public computers for financial transactions.
- Ensure that your personal computers have updated anti-virus software tools.
- Regular check that your information with institutions are updated. This refers to your cell phone numbers and email addresses specifically as financial services use these to confirm transactions.
- Contact your financial services institution should you suspect any activity that may be untoward or if you suspect that your account or details have been compromised.
- Do not disclose personal information such as passwords and PINs when asked to do so by anyone via telephone, fax, text message or even email. Register with SAFPS for protective registration - if anyone tries to apply for banking products with your ID, it will be declined or referred for further review. To do this contact SAFPS at firstname.lastname@example.org , or visit their site -
Apply For Protective Registration
Please register for the MyLiberty Self-Service on
www.liberty.co.za to manage your own Liberty portfolio. Should you require assistance, please contact your Financial Adviser or Liberty directly on
0860 456 789.